A = L + SE

Most people think accounting is complicated and boring. I love it because I identify with both of those things...

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Bring me an apple

Tomorrow I'll begin teaching managerial accounting to a new crop of sophmores.

This is my 3rd time teaching this class and it is always the highlight of every semester. I never thought of myself as a teacher and I'm not sure I do even now, but it is always an awesome experience. This is a business core class, meaning that all business majors are required to take it, so it is an understatement to say that students aren't too thrilled to be there. In fact, I usually only have about 2 or 3 accounting majors in any given class. The cool thing is that I have the opportunity to let these guys know that a basic understanding of accounting is beneficial for any business person. I don't push for converts.... but its always fun to bring someone to the other side =)

Something new? The business college has implemented an honor code that holds its students to the utmost in integrity. In other words, everyone has to sign a contract stating that if they cheat, or observe someone else cheating and don't report it they accept the strict punishment that the college requires. This is to set our University apart from others and present not only well educated but also ethical leaders to the world upon graduation. I have the privilege of explaining this to my class, listening to their feelings about it and observing their willingness to sign. That should be interesting.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home